Thursday, May 17, 2012

Not So Smart



I made 4 large [5kg] porcelain bowls and they all cracked in exactly the same place while drying. Porcelain is a wonderful teacher if you can take the lessons it teaches which are,in this case,
1] I'm not as smart as I thought [probably the most important lesson ]
2] If you're making big pots,expect big losses.
3] I need to redesign the profiles around the foot of the bowls so that there isn't such a big difference in thickness between the wall and the base.
That's as far as I've got so far- I'm just happy it didn't happen in the bisc firing- at least I get to use the clay again.
Pictures from Monday's glaze kiln firing will follow soon, with maybe some pictures from Raanana Pottery Fair,whither I'm heading this afternoon...see you there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home