Friday, August 07, 2009

A Solution to Water Shortage - Dry Throwing

The clay is a rough red stoneware,which I shall probably glaze with the Nuka or Jun glazes,leaving the rim and outside exposed.Robin Welch taught me this technique at the beginning of my apprenticeship,before I could centre and throw in the usual "wet" way. A Youtube clip of Takeshi Yasuda's early pots reminded me of the technique and unglazed rim effect; I'd been wondering what to do with the red stoneware [used for the lanterns a while ago] and I felt like playing a bit before Shabbat. The first ones [on shelf at end of video] I threw wet,then decided to take it a step further and go for that nice wobbly semi-un-centred rim [click on title to watch].

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home