Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lantern Show




I threw a whole collection of parts for the lanterns yesterday,largely by guesswork,but referring to pictures I took in Japan and net sites,using my rough tough [but soft] stoneware mix. This morning I got to play with them [top picture] ,and had a disgracefully good time re-arranging elements,trimming,squaring and assembling. One of the beauties of these lanterns is the lack of attachment - nothing is stuck together [except the knob on top] so you can keep playing with them. Looking at them now,the more rounded one,inspired [I thought] by some ancient lantern spotted in an Imperial Park in Kyoto, suddenly reminds me of a strange device I noticed on "Akihabara News" just before I sat down to throw...let's see if we can find the picture...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home