Friday, March 06, 2009

Clay Close-Up




I spent a fascinating and muddy morning last week with Professor Sharon Zuckerman at the Tel Hatzor excavation site,where they are digging up [carefully] all kinds of interesting things. I have long felt that archeologists don't talk much to potters [and,inevitably,vice versa] Many museums tell you fairly obvious information [e.g. "red earthenware pot"] where one would like to know stuff like firing temperature and atmosphere,kiln type and where the clay came from. Sharon sent me these microphotographs of thin slices of fired clay,and claims that she can tell what the various lumps are. At a first glance,I would say they're pretty obviously all earthenware,since the particles haven't fused - I wonder what porcelain looks like...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home