Friday, March 23, 2007

Siddig el'Ngoumi


Another reference for the terra sigilata bowls.I met Siddig z"l in 1984 in London,while I was trying to get some background on African pottery prior to starting a project with two Ethiopian potters who had come to live in Tsfat. Twenty-three years later I still recall the serenity and dignity of his work [of which only this picture seems to exist on the web...]
On the same trip,I visited Magdelene Odundo in her studio in Farnham,Surrey,to ask more questions about African pottery [she was born in Kenya].I remember two long tables full of her majestic burnished,pit-smoked pieces- a very impressive presence,dominating the whole room. Hang on,I'm sure we can find a picture of her work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home