Monday, February 06, 2006

What Does It All Mean?

 
I think I have proved conclusively that hand-cast shelves are not the way forward- a shame:it was a nice idea.This one,made from the same mixture as the kiln,warped extensively after one firing-the thrown version [my mix]even more.They did,however,sit rather nicely on experimental pegs sliced from thin kiln-shelf and slotted into angled holes drilled around the kiln-wall,removing the need for space-taking shelf props.My main problem seems to be heat distribution-too much heat is getting held at the bottom of the kiln,so the next set of shelves [I can just cut 2 from one of those perforated shelves I showed you recently] will be smaller to allow the heat to rise unimpeded.I don't know about you,but I am enjoying myself tremendously learning about kilns.And it only took me 30 years to get around to it. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home